"We're building a social learning platform to improve education for university students everywhere."
Location: Remote within GMT -6h to +2h (preference for GMT +/- 2h)
The short version ⏳
Mission: Own the outcomes for Aula’s whole engineering team.
Who: A humble and curious individual who has experience building and leading high-performing engineering teams.
How: All Aula engineers report to you: Enable a team of talented engineers to deliver excellent outcomes. Work closely across functions including product management, data, design, and support to coordinate all activities enabling them to deliver maximum impact to our users.
What is Aula? 🐝
Aula is the Learning Experience Platform for Higher Education (product video). Aula makes it easy for educators to create high quality hybrid learning experiences by combining easy-to-use technology with learning design capabilities.
We're a 35-person remote team spread across the globe from Nebraska to Pakistan. Meet our team. Read our company handbook here: The Aula Brain
The role: Engineering Manager 👨🏽🚀🕵🏻♀️👩🏾🏫👨💻
We’re looking for an experienced engineering manager (job level just below VP Eng) to join a close-knit team, at the forefront of shaping our users’ experience. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you’ll lead Aula's whole team of passionate and high performing engineers, focusing on technical management, people growth, roadmap planning and execution.
Here’s a snapshot of what you’ll be doing:
Run the full strategy process for engineering (strategy, tactics, goal setting, team composition), and providing input from an engineering perspective that has a meaningful impact on company strategy.
- Attract a diverse group of top performers and can quickly build out the team needed to hit our goals. The top performers on your team stay, not just because of Aula, but because of you.
- Articulate clear roles and performance expectations within your team: Your team is lean relative to the outcomes delivered and has no adequate performers or people in the wrong roles.
- Own the outcomes of the engineering team, including requesting resources to hit silly ambitious targets.
- Ensure the quality and reliability of our SaaS product, including overseeing a robust incident response system.
- Work closely with your interdisciplinary product leadership team, including product management, support, and learning, to ensure that new products and features are successfully launched and achieve their goals for awareness, adoption and revenue.
- Meet with key external partners at all stages of the partnership process, representing Product Development
We’d love to hear from you if… 🔍
- Demonstrated success in building and managing high-performing engineering teams, including hiring, tough conversations and org-design
- Experience leading project teams using agile development methodologies
- Experience in coordinating activities across all software functions including engineering, product management, support, etc.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Talent for leading through influence and inspiring achievement of silly ambitious goals
Nice to have:
- Experience managing remote engineering teams
- Experience in Series A-B startups finding product market fit
- Are mission-driven: you care deeply about building great products that affect people’s lives.
- Are excited about joining a fast-paced 30-person startup with all the ups, downs and ownership that entails.
- Seek out challenging conversations, knowing that it's kind to be candid.
- Value being part of a diverse and inclusive team.
- Enjoy working in an agile environment driven by our partners’ needs
- Are emotionally intelligent. You can communicate with people from different backgrounds and with varying levels of tech know-how.
- Are a team player, someone who enjoys working collaboratively.
- Have a curious nature; someone who is excited about exploring and learning